Dr. Shirley Blanc obtained her Bachelor of Science degree in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo, then went on to graduate with a Doctorate of Optometry in 2001. She has years of experience working in private practice catering to patients of all ages and in laser and cataract surgery centers providing pre- and post-operative care. She utilizes the latest technology for early screening and monitoring of conditions such as Glaucoma and Macular Degeneration.
In recent years, Dr. Blanc has dedicated a significant portion of her practice to assessing and treating patients with traumatic brain injury, due to the need for optometric intervention as a vital component of a post-concussive healthcare team. The skills and education she obtained through an extensive array of specialized courses and certifications in the field of Neuro-Optometric Vision Rehabilitation as well as her clinical experience has enabled her to provide individualized and research-supported strategies for patients with Post-Trauma Vision Syndrome. Dr. Blanc incorporates a multi-disciplinary team-based approach with consideration of vision as an interactive component with other systems in the body. She frequently collaborates with other professionals, such as Sports Medicine and other Physicians, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, Chiropractors, and Osteopaths.
Dr. Blanc has been a speaker for several health professional organizations educating on the topic of vision and concussion, and has received recognition for her volunteer contribution to the Canadian Optometrists in Vision Therapy & Rehabilitation Association. Dr. Blanc is on the Medical Advisory Board for Complete Concussion Management, a concussion education resource for clinics and practitioners. She is a member in good standing of the Ontario Association of Optometrists, Neuro-Optometric Rehabilitation Association, and Canadian Optometrists in Vision Therapy & Rehabilitation.
Past Speaking Engagements:
- Speaker: Brain Injury Canada conference, October 2018
- Speaker: City Wide Sports Medicine Rounds: University of Toronto Orthopedic Sports Medicine Program at Women’s College Hospital, October, 2018
- Speaker: Ontario Association of Optometrists Symposium April 14, 2018; topic: “Concussion and Vision for the Primary Care OD”
- Lecture and Workshop at the University of Toronto David L. MacIntosh Sports Medicine Clinic, December 8, 2017; Vision and Concussion
- Speaker at the Sports Physiotherapists of Canada Annual Concussion Symposium, November 2016 and 2017; topic: Vision and Concussion
- Vision Expert contributor/lecturer for a clinic certification course by Complete Concussion Management, June 2017
- Speaker at the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute for OTs and PTs, February 2017, topic ABI/TBI and Vision Rehabilitation
- Speaker at an OT and Rehab worker meeting at Galit-Lifshitz, focusing on collaboration and vision rehabilitation education, May 2016